Fast Lane Art 2019 is ready for your school!
Berks Arts Council is excited to announce Fast Lane Art is a part of the BCIU Secondary Art Show to be held at the GoggleWorks Center for the Arts. Art works will be selected by juror, Ann Woodward for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. The Berks Arts Council’s Fast Lane Art Committee will select various pieces for the Committee Choice Awards. Joining the BCIU Secondary Art Show provides students from all of the schools, to participate in Fast Lane Art.
Selected pieces will be showcased as “Public Art” on street banners throughout the City of Reading and West Reading.
Meet Fast Lane Art 2019 juror, Ann Woodward
Ann Woodward, Wyomissing, is a local art enthusiast and aficionado who has coordinated numerous art exhibitions. Ann took over the Junior/Senior High School Juried Art Exhibit at the Yocum Institute in 1989. During her 25-year tenure the show has increased from 100 pieces to nearly 500. The exhibit provides aspiring young artists to present their original works to the public in a professional gallery setting, as well as compete for cash prizes and tuition to Institute classes. In addition, Ann was instrumental in curating the work of the late Jack Coggins for an exhibit entitled: “Remembering Jack: A Tribute to Jack Coggins”. This exhibit featured more than six decades of Jack Coggins work including nearly 300 oils, watercolors and printed materials. Ann currently serves on the board of the Yocum Institute and serves as a member of their Exhibits Committee and is a volunteer for the Reading Public Museum.
Ann is a graduate of the University of Delaware with a degree in international relations. She received her real estate license in 2015 and is a realtor with Berkshire Hathaway Home Services. Ann and her husband, Galen Mullen, owned Mulllen Construction for over 38 years.
Fast Lane Art FAQ’s
What is Fast lane Art?
Fast Lane Art is a juried contest and exhibition that displays the work of high school artists throughout Greater Reading on street side banners. Selected art pieces from the BCIU Secondary Art Show held at the GoggleWorks Center for the Arts, 2/23 – 3/10/19, will be displayed on street side banners on Penn Ave, West Reading and various bridges throughout the City of Reading in the spring of 2019. An announcement will be made of the dates the banners will be hung at a later time.
What is the submission deadline?
The submission deadline is the same as the BCIU Secondary Art Show set up on, February 20, 2019.
Is there a fee for my students to enter?
No. Fast Lane Art submissions are the same as the BCIU submissions, meaning the artwork entered in the BCIU show will be considered and juried for the Fast Lane Art selection.
How is artwork submitted?
All artwork entered in the BCIU Secondary Art Exhibition will be considered and juried for the Fast Lane Art Program. There is no separate category for Fast Lane Art.
- No digital entries or separate Fast Lane Art entries are required.
- Please follow all BCIU Guidelines when submitting work. No reference to the use of drugs, alcohol or smoking materials is allowed. No weapon, violence or sexual content is allowed.
- All artwork submitted must be original.
- Plagiarized work will be EXCLUDED from judging. This applies most specifically to depictions of known cartoon characters and “fan art”.
- The suggested dimensions to best fit a banner are of a vertical orientation at 11” x 17”. This is only a suggestion and not a requirement for consideration of the Fast Lane Art awards.
How are the winning submissions selected?
Juror, Ann Woodward will select the first, second, and third place pieces. The Fast Lane Art Committee of the Berks Arts Council will choose the pieces for the Committee Choice Awards. Potentially one piece from each school entered in the show will be chosen.
Do students receive any other prizes?
In addition to the cash awards listed below, a banner with their artwork will be given to each winning entry including the Committee Choice recipients.
- Alma Wood Memorial Awards:
- 1st Place – $350 cash prize
- 2nd Place – $200 cash prize
- 3rd Place – $100 cash prize
How and when do we find out the winners?
- Pieces selected for the Fast Lane Art Exhibit will be announced during the BCIU awards ceremony scheduled on Sunday, March 3rd from 1 -3 pm (Snow date March 10th).
- Artwork selected for the Fast Lane Art Program will be professionally photographed for the Fast Lane Art banners. Photographing of the artwork will take place Tuesday, March 12th at the GoggleWorks Center for the Arts. Selected entries will be held at the Berks Arts Council upon the closing of the BCIU Exhibition for photographing.
- The Fast Lane Art 2019 Unveiling Event, a big party where the winning submissions are announced by unveiling the full-size banners, is in the process of being finalized. Details will be announced on our website, social media, and notification will be sent to the schools.
The Fine Print
- All reasonable care and security measures will be taken in handling and displaying artwork submitted.
- At the Unveiling Event, artists may choose to sell their artwork. Proceeds will be distributed 50/50 between the artist and BAC. If you need assistance with pricing, please let Berks Arts Council know.
- All entrants grant permission to Berks Arts Council (BAC) to publish and/or broadcast the names and photographs of the finalists and the winning entries through print and electronic media in relation to publicizing Berks Arts Council and Fast Lane Art.
Please direct questions to:
Program and Grants Coordinator
Berks Arts Council
610-898-1930, ext 23